If you've read through our previous post: 7 Resistant Starch Recipes To Promote Glorious Gut Flora, then you'll be in the loop on just how influential resistant starch is when it comes to keeping your gut happy and healthy. This recipe blog will have you keeping up with your intake in no time with the most delicious, #1 Tasting Resistant Starch Bread Recipe you'll (ever) find!
Contents:What is Resistant Starch Key Benefits of Resistant Starch About its Ingredients Resistant Starch Banana Bread Recipe Final Thoughts on Resistant Starch
What is Resistant StarchJust to recap, resistant starch is a gluten-friendly carbohydrate source that your body fails to break down. Rather, it fights digestion and instead travels though your small intestine to your colon where it is transformed into beneficial, energy-boosting, inflammation fighting short-chain fatty acids by your intestinal bacteria.
Key Benefits of Resistant StarchThe main reason why it's so good for us is because it "flushes" out the evil bacteria and instead nourishes and feeds the friendly bacteria taking its spot. Let's go through some of its other key health benefits now:
- Mimics fibre by slowing down absorption and digestion in the small intestine, keeping you fuller for longer.
- Feeds beneficial "good" bacteria in the large intestine.
- Reduces insulin resistance from inflammation.
- Supports intestinal barrier function (i.e. eases symptoms of leaky gut) and the healthy secretion of hormones and enzymes in the gut.
- Stimulates fat burning and glycogen storage (stores energy).
About its IngredientsBanana bread is without a doubt one of the most classic and delicious recipes you can always fall back on. And whilst this recipe happens to be gluten free, refined sugar-free and dairy free, we promise its taste hasn't been compromised (we would never dream of doing that!). What we have done is made it "gut proof" by adding ingredients that wont leave you feeling sluggish and bloated. Not to mention, upping its nutritional value! The addition of almond meal, walnuts, eggs and coconut oil provides you with polyphenols, which are fantastic for feeding your gut bacteria and provides you with an abundance of fibre, healthy fats and protein! You may also notice that all sweetness is coming from the bananas, because why add sugar when they're perfectly sweet and wonderful on their own? Let's get baking, shall we?
The Classic (but of so good) Banana Bread
✓ Gluten-free ✓ Refined-sugar free ✓ Dairy-freeWhat you’ll need:
- 150g coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 3 unripe bananas (preferably), mashed
- 1 scoop Fermented Happy Fibre
- 2 cups almond meal
- ¾ cup walnuts, roughly chopped (plus extra for topping)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 180◦C and line a loaf tin with baking paper (approx. 20cm x 10cm)
- In a blender, combine oil, eggs and vanilla.
- In a large bowl, combine almond meal, walnuts and baking powder.
- Add the wet ingredients (oil mixture), mashed banana and stir until well-combined.
- Transfer into prepared tin and bake in oven for 50 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly before turning out and enjoy!